Monoculture is a word that has been doing the rounds in podcasting and i've been looking it up on the web to find out what it means. i'd like to understand more about what it means if anyone can post what it means to them to my comments. i think it means 'the most popular', things are shifting so fast though. when i ask for advice from various people about things to buy i always hear 'you HAVE to have x'...
- digital music - you HAVE to have an ipod
- purchase music - you HAVE to use itunes
- a creative computer - you HAVE to have an imac
Which never really seemed to fit in with apples whole 'free spirit' attitude. the thing is if 95% of the world was apple and 5% was microsoft, would apple products still be the best and for what reason?
- you are NOT allowed to say security - if Apples were the dominant computers then there would be a lot more viruses targeted for them, goes with the turf.
- you cannot that microsoft are all beige boxes as you can use different coloured boxes for your pc.
- you cannot say speed - i've heard so many podcasters CONSTANTLY complain that they cant record and even browse the web without a G5.
i dont know why i brought all that up. i think its becuase every magazine, website and tv channel i've been subjected to in the last few hours has in some way been connected to apple. not that they are not a bad computer, its just i'm getting apple 'monoculture'. they shouldnt advertise as i'm getting apple overload - they should stick to word of mouth, it sounds more credible.
if they bring out one more product, put one more letter 'i' infront of its name and put one more zero at the end of its price tag then try to sell it to using 'cool' looking people i'll scream.
The humble Toilet - £99.00
The Apple iToilet - £990.00 - desirable becuase of the trendy GAP wearing squatting woman?
How did my post turn into apple bashing? i'm not an apple basher. i'm an apple advert basher. theres a difference. here goes, i'm going to get a truck load of graphic designers start moaning...